Rants about the state of American education? Check.
Whimsical whining about Facebook? Check.
Keeping you informed about my son's belly button? Check.
I'm supposed to do the following things:
"1. Thank and link back to the person who nominated you, only do not re-nominate them.
2. Share 7 things about yourself.
3. Pass along this nomination to 10 recently discovered stylish and cool bloggers.
4. Contact them and tell them about their nomination."
So in the spirit of awards ceremonies everywhere, I will tell you seven things about myself that each pertain to major awards in pop culture. I will countdown from seven (a trick every college student learns from Letterman), but don't expect number one to be any better than number seven. I'm working off the cuff here.
7. I agree with the Academy that Crash is a better picture than Brokeback Mountain.
6. The last time I was concerned at all with who won a Grammy was in 1987, when Paul Simon won Best Album for Graceland.
5. About a minute and a half ago, I found out that Arcade Fire won this year's Best Album for The Suburbs, and I think that's damn cool beans.
4. Growing up, I always thought the Academy Awards were given for "grown up" movies that no one cared about because Star Wars, Raiders of the Lost Ark, and ET were never included. It wasn't until I was "grown up" that I found out that those three movies were all nominated for several awards each, including Best Picture. This knowledge gave me belated respect for the Oscars.
3. I don't know why I feel like I have to respect the Oscars, but I do.
2. I'm an avid, and admittedly slow, reader, but the only major-award-winning book I can recall reading is the The Road by Cormac McCarthy (got the Pulitzer in 2007). I have several recent National Book Award winners on my bookshelves, but I haven't read any of them. (This doesn't include Newberry or other awards for Young Adult Lit. I've read lots of those.)
1. The Social Network will win this year's Oscar for Best Picture, not only because it's one of the best scripts written by Aaron Sorkin (and that's saying a lot, according to me) and has a soundtrack that's the best work Trent Reznor's done since The Downward Spiral, but also because it's one of only three Best Picture nominated movies I've seen this year, and we all know Toy Story 3 and Inception ain't gonna win.
I'm leaning a bit heavily on the Academy Awards here, but they are just a week away. And I don't say anything about the Emmys even though they're pretty good about acknowleding the best shows, despite never giving any love to Buffy or Battlestar.
Maybe all these pictures will make my blog seem more stylish, like I actually deserved any recognition at all. Now, about those other two requirements. I can't do it. As I said, I've only been at this for so long. I follow just a few other blogs, and I have such good taste that nearly all of those bloggers have already received this award. So I'll take a raincheck and send out the award to some others later. Can I do that? Someone will tell me if this is too huge a breach in etiquette, right?
And just for sticking with it, there's a delightful photo of SuperXander and his faithful sidekick.